Monday, March 23, 2009

Workshop is in Operation!

(Scott's blog this time.)

With the exception of the electronic repair equipment, most of the workshop is set up now. Over the last few months, I’ve been able to turn out a few projects… to include shelving, 2 beds, and dozens & dozens of little fix-up jobs around the house and yard!

When we arrived here in July, the contractor had just completed pouring the floor and doing a very rough plastering job on the inside of the walls. They also installed the glass

block windows and a usable set of temporary doors. The electrician upgraded the electrical service for the house… at the same time he installed a separate electrical service for the shop and for the apartment (not shown).


One small area at a time, I would paint the wall, set up shelving, and unpack boxes. After I had found enough tools, I began to build workbenches and install electrical fixtures. (The plumber had also installed an area for a bathroom and slop sink, which I haven’t done anything with yet.)

For security reasons, and appearance, I fabricated a single entrance door and an 8 foot wide sliding door. Most of the hardware for the doors was purchased in the US because I didn’t know what was available here in Grenada. The wood was purchased at a local lumber yard, and it’s what they call “pitch pine”, which is a very heavy, sappy wood. I purposely left small cracks between the boards to provide both ventilation and a more rustic look. I like to buy 16 foot lengths of wood to minimize waste. (Also the longer lengths seem to tie down and haul better than the shorter 8-12 foot lengths.) I haul everything on the top of our 2-door Suzuki Escudo. (Down here that’s referred to as a “van”… not a small SUV. What we call vans, they call “buses”. And what we call buses, they refer to as “coasters”… but that’s another story!)

After the workshop was more secure, I began setting up most of the other stuff. For a time, I had to do all my welding with my gas welding equipment, which can be very slow and time-consuming. The next thing to do was work on the transformer assembly that we use to convert the Grenadian 210 volt (no neutral) electricity to American 120 volt and American 230 volt (with neutral). I accomplished this by using two rather large (boat-anchor!) transformers, and wiring them in such a way to produce the voltage for my predominantly-American tools and machinery. We will also use this Americanized voltage to power our energy-saving laundry equipment (also brought with us from the US).

Some of our neighbors who have visited the shop, just stand there wide-eyed looking at the equipment and the backup of material, hardware, and supplies. A secure, brightly-lit, well-equipped, and dry work area is something practically unheard of in Grenada. A few of the neighbor boys have discovered my shop and have since made several cricket bats (with my supervision). I even helped one neighbor install an automobile radio (powered by a motorcycle battery) on his bicycle! Along with the suitcase-sized speaker, we are able to hear him coming from a great distance!

Things left to do include installing piped, compressed air to various parts of the workshop… and of course, setting up the electronic repair bench. I find it very satisfying to be able to complete a job from start to finish, without needing to make several half-hour trips to town (for the miscellaneous screw or dab of paint)!

... Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Scott! This is so totally Cool! I stand in awe! Should have had you come and organize our garage before you left! You have always had an awesome way of organizing your tools that I envy. Great job! Sounds like you are set up for business.
Charlotte