Friday, August 7, 2009

Bert's Place - Hermitage

I've been wanting to take another drive up to Pearl's airstrip, and we finally had the time to do that last Sunday. (I had taken a photo of a young family there on my last trip & wanted to give them a print as a keepsake.) It was a holiday weekend (Emancipation Day), so there wasn't much else to do anyway.

On the way back we took a different route that brought us past a new restaurant we came across while hashing a few months ago. There looked to be some activity,
so we pulled into the parking lot & asked if they were open. (There was a small gathering of people hanging around... left over from a party the night before.) Bert, the owner greeted us with a friendly smile... as though we were old friends! Although he is closed on Sundays, he was more than happy to show us around. Of course, we ended up at the bar in his banquet room, where he brought out his own "home brew" (a blended rum) and we had our own little tasting party, meanwhile passing time with conversation about how he got started with this venture. By the time we left, we had our own bottles of his "brew" to bring home with us!

Our hash last weekend was at Grand Etang Park. There is a lake there and the trai
l basically took us all around the lake. Most of the path though was a big mud bog... at some times I felt it was like quicksand! There are a few "resident" mona monkeys that hang out at the entrance, so we were able to get some photos of them. They are not pets, and pretty much come & go as they please. Sometimes there's a guy hanging around with them asking for money if you photograph them. He was not around today... probably because the tourists are not here this time of year. I watched the monkey travel across the top of the fence. When he came to a girl that was sitting on the fence in his way, he just "bounced" off the top of her head to pass around her! It happened so fast, she didn't see it coming! It was funny!

I've been thinking about my next project, which is to paint a wall to look like stones. I came up with this idea because I couldn't decide what color I should paint this wall. Because it's visible from the large room, it would have to be a c
olor that coordinates somewhat. I came up with the stone wall idea because I could still paint the bedroom whatever color I want... without it clashing with the living room. Anyway, we bought a few different shades of paint on Tuesday and I started painting on Wednesday. Three days later the wall is now covered with stones! I still have more detail work to do on the rocks, then I also want to make it look like there's some green stuff growing between some of them. But Carnival is starting here this weekend, so I think I'll take a few days off. Actually, I'm quite surprised at how nice it looks! But poor Scott "shudders" every time I have another wild idea about decorating! (Here's a photo after the second day of painting.)

We both have a busy day scheduled for tomorrow. Scott is helping to set the trail for the hash, so he'll be gone most of the day. And I'm taking a friend with me to Grenville to look at fabric. (That's about an hour drive each way.) On another note... we had a coffee "catastrophe" yesterday afternoon, and our glass carafe broke! I won't even get into THAT story!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Love your rock wall!

Harold said...

The wall looks great!
Scott, I tried to email you. Came back undeliverable.

Harold