Wednesday, October 1, 2008

1 October 2008 - Wednesday

Happy October!

I'm sitting here this morning watching another beautiful sunrise! I suppose the mornings back in PA are turning crisp by now... not something I'm missing.


Thought I'd talk about the street market in St. George's. Every Saturday morning, the city is alive with street vendors selling local produce & spices. There is also a Fish Market and Meat Market... buildings where you can go to purchase the fresh "catch of the day". Occasionally, we'll trek to town, with our cooler ready to see what's in store! Last week, we bought some pork at the Meat Market. It's a pretty gross place... as you can see in the photo. There are about 6 or 8 spaces for vendors in the building... 3 on each side. Each one is behind a counter with bars that go to the ceiling (looks like prison bars). They all have a really old looking chopping block, probably from a tree stump! And believe it or not, when they chop the meat for you, some of it actually splashes through the bars at you! (I had to try to protect my camera from it!) Scott thinks this place is really cool... I think it's gross.

Today I have a haircut planned, along with a bit of shopping for a few items for the house. We need a few large pots so we can transfer a couple large plants that have become root-bound (on the veranda). The decision is whether to get the kind made with cement... or to use plastic ones that look like pottery. I'm still trying to figure out where the best place is to purchase them.

NOTE: There's a new "Big" in town! We've noticed another large lizard (not quite the size of Mr. Big) hanging out in Mr. Big's area. This one is brown... and doesn't seem to be very friendly. AND I'm not sure, but Tail-less Joe may still be here! We've trimmed back the bush that he used to lounge on, so he must have gone somewhere else temporarily.

More later!


No comments: